2015-04-04

Content With What We Have?

Something Different


It has come to my attention that not only are we surrounded by the internet but that we are hugely dependent on it. Not only are we counting on being cheered by going online, we look forward to it. It might be the episode of  *title of your favorite show* on Tuesday that you look forward to every week, or the fact that you can shut everything out by just simply looking at YouTube videos. The thing is, is it even enjoyment. If you compare the hours you spent last time watching videos and everything you got from that to the time you went out with a friend: which do you remember better? I never remember what video clips I used my hour on but when I'm with a friend that's something I remember.

The thing is if we now suddenly couldn't use the internet for a week people would feel vulnerable. Maybe our calendar is online, or maybe you don't know how to enjoy your time while panicking if all you data is safe. We are devoted to updating statuses and making it seem like you have the best life, but without the hours spent online what are you actually doing? Can we do something we enjoy without using the internet? What about electricity as a whole?

That brings me to my point, which I indeed have one of, we are fascinated by pixels on a screen that change in color. Not only obsessed with it but we tend to be under the influene of it. But can we be ecstatic without it? Without any of it that is? I know we can all be happy on days we are not online, but what if we never again could be online. Could we be pleased on the life we are blessed to have? Scratch that, can we be content with the way our life would turn to be?

If this change would happen -- I know I would change, a lot. How we see the world would change. On the bus without headphones, noticing people, noticing nature. We'd have time to think about ourselves and noticing the work that needs to be done in our lives. Looking at the inner you and thinking about your dreams. We would all become different, and I don't think that's bad.

I am defenetly not saying everyone is like this! I know I have an amount of a clinging to the internet and that I don't appreciate everything that we have because I'm busy being devoted to updating something. We are prone to do what others do in some sense. Maybe it's pure pressure but maybe we want to know what's going on everywhere because we're afraid we'll be out of  "the loop".

Why do we updaate our statuses? Is it because we enjoy doing that: writing about what we are doing (and at the same time neglecting the actually thing you're saying your doing)? Or maybe we want the others to know about your actions. Maybe it's because that is what one person started and everyone now sipmly does. But when the attraction of that website dies down what did you actually get from the experience? You know what people did during the last week. But how does that give you fruit. It is an entertainment, yes, but I just want you to think of why you are doing it and what you expect to get from it that will make your life. It can make you happy but this is your life. I know that the internet is not all I want to get from the story of my life.

What do you guys think?
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)