2019-08-10

First Sentences in Books part I


The very first sentences we read in books tells us a lot; about the writing, the feeling, the setting or character. Not all first sentences are made equal though, they don’t always convey anything about the story. There are many memorable ones for me, both in the negative and positive aspect, and here are some great ones!


There are ones that are nostalgic,
ones that grab your attention immediately,
ones that throw you right in the middle of the action,
ones that tell you a lot about the book or the style,
ones that make you laugh,
and ones that just purely make you want to know more.


We went to the moon to have fun, but the moon turned out to completely suck.
- Feed by Anderson

My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die. I counted.
- Jellicoe Road byMarchetta

The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.
- The Knife of Never Letting Go by Ness

It seems like there should be some sort of introduction to this.
- Hyperbole and a Half

I can't remember many specific details of the accident, but the fear I felt that day is still crystal clear in my memory.
- Cinder and Ella

The end of the sword was pointing straight at my heart, and my murderer's eyes were like black holes threatening to swallow up everything that came too close to them.
- Emerald Green

The sound of my knife slitting across a throat feels much too loud in the darkness.
- Daughter of the Siren Queen

The blood underneath her nails bothered her.
- Batman

You may think you know the story.
- My Lady Jane

No one survives beyond the fence.
- The Revolution of Ivy

This time we were in the Great Room enduring another etiquette lesson when bricks came flying through the window.
- The One

In some part of my brain, probably the logical part that seemed to be missing at the moment, I knew I should let go and walk away, maintain some of my dignity.
- The Fill-in Boyfriend

How did they find us so fast?
- A Torch Against the Night

Locked in darkness that surrounded me like a coffin, I had nothing to distract me from my memories.
- Poison Study

This book begins the same way as nearly all my social interactions; with a series of detailed and thorough apologies.
- The Idiot Brain

Read on lovelies.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)