2014-04-19

Frozen vs The Snow Queen

Movie vs. Short Story (Pt.1)
Movie adaptation vs. J.C. Anderson's Short Story

You have probably seen (at least heard of) Frozen the know Disney movie. If you haven't go watch it! It is amazingly fantabilous! So, to my point, you might have not known that it was based on Anderson's short story Snow Queen. I read it before I saw the movie so I could compare the twist Disney put on it. I know it is only influenced by this story, but they still had some similarities.

Frozen: This film is about a fearless girl who goes on journey to find her sister, who has trapped the kingdom in everlasting winter with her icy powers. She is accompanied by a mountain man, his pet reindeer and a hapless and helpless snowman who is quite a character.

Snow Queen: (1845) This story is about a girl who is seeking her lost friend. Turns out someone has made an evil mirror showing everything in a bad way. It shattered and pieces flew everywhere on earth and this little girls friend got a piece in his eye and heart turning them bad. Her quest is made harder when she realises he is with the Snow Queen in a foreign place. On the way she encounters crows, a prince, princess and some robbers.

Overall I really liked both of these stories. They both had a girl on a quest in the cold for a loved one. Disney made more of a humoreus job, both then again had the serious note. Frozen has multiple parts which are actually like in Anderson's story, but the twists are what made me fall for Frozen. I adore fairytale retellings as other books and also movie versions on them. The best ones, amongst Frozen, are ones that have only slightly reminders of the original. For example some Cinderella movies can be often too similar to each other, which  frustrates me, just abit, at times. I find it that the creators need to be extra creative with them to make them standout. Which Frozen definetly did, I'm glad to say.

To say which was better, in my opinion, I can't say. They are not that similar to compare in "betterness". Also by the other one being a movie and the other a written story it makes it even harder. To say which I enjoyed more, that'd need to be Frozen. I LoVeD it so much! I laughed (and still do when reminded), and the snowman simply made my day!

Love,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)