2017-06-17

Favorite Opening Lines of Books




Pennyroyal Academy - If I'm still in this forest by nightfall, I'll never leave it again.


The Raven Boys - Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she'd been told that she would kill her true love.


All Fall Down - When I was twelve I broke my leg jumping off the wall between Canada and Germany.


Cinder and Ella - The problem with fairy tales is that most of them begin with tragedy. I understand the reasoning behind it. No one likes a pampered heroine. A great character neeeds trials to overcome - experiences to give them depth, to make them vulnerable, relatable, and likable. Good characters need hardships to make them strong. The idea makes sense, but it still sucks if you're the heroine.


The Shadow Society - knowing what I know now, I'd say my fostermother had her reasons for throwing a kitchen knife at me.


Ella Enchanted - That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to lay a curse on me.


Assassins Curse - I ain't never been one to trust beautiful people, and Tarrin of the Hariri was the most beautiful man I ever saw.


My Lady Jane (prologue) - You may think you know the story. It goes like this: once upon a time, there was a sixteen-year-old girl named Jane Grey, who was forced to marry a complete stranger (Lord Guildford or Gilford or Gifford-something-or-other), and shortly thereafter found herself ruler of a country. She was queen for nine days. Then she quite literally lost her head.
Yes, it’s a tragedy, if you consider the disengagement of one’s head from one’s body tragic. (We are merely narrators, and would hate to make assumptions as to what the reader would find tragic.)
We have a different tale to tell.

CLASSICS:
Pride &Prejudice - It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
1984It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen


Peter Pan - All children, except one, grow up


Metamorphosis - As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from troubled dreams, he found himself changed into a monstrous cockroach in his bed


Catcher in the Rye -
If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.

Read on lovelies,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)