2014-06-22

The Princess Bride

Classic for May
By: William Goldman

I have been wanting to read this book for a while now but until I heard of it again I had forgotten i had it. So I decided it was a perfect moment to pick it up.

What surprised me of this book was the way it was written. William Goldman (the author) was also a character as an author. But he was retelling the book by the actual yet fictional writer. So he starts of by saying he wished he had written it so he wrote this to rewrite it by skipping parts he didn't like. But in actuality there is no second author and it is all William Goldman. Can you understand that? It plays out very easily so you can catch up and understand it easily.
So what is it about? Well if you have seen the movie you will know around how it goes, but of course not exactly.

Goodreads says this:
What happens when the most beautiful girl in the world marries the handsomest prince of all time and he turns out to be...well...a lot less than the man of her dreams?

As a boy, William Goldman claims, he loved to hear his father read the S. Morgenstern classic, The Princess Bride. But as a grown-up he discovered that the boring parts were left out of good old Dad's recitation, and only the "good parts" reached his ears.

Now Goldman does Dad one better. He's reconstructed the "Good Parts Version" to delight wise kids and wide-eyed grownups everywhere.

What's it about? Fencing. Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lots of Bad Men. Lots of Good Men. Five or Six Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles, and a Little Sex.

In short, it's about everything.

Yep that is pretty much it. It has romance and adventure with humor and action. It was so good, but slow paced in the beginning. That is my only negative comment about it. Oh and the fact that it was a bit weird in the beginning when trying to figure out how the story goes and how all the stories in the story play out to be.

I enjoyed trying to go through these thoughts though. Also a bit of a negative line I have to comment also is about the ending of this book. Well I didn't exactly understand it...
Onto more positive thoughts then :)
All the characters intrigued me and the development you could see of them throughout the book was very neatly done. I also liked the way they were constantly on the move and the descriptions of these new scenes. I was constantly thinking on how they will manage and survive, and that brought me closer ot the characters if that makes sense.

Spoiler part:
I had to add this part to this review. So don't read this part if you haven't seen the movie or read the book!
I hated one part of this book. Well not a part but a choice the main character made. They had just come out of the deathly forest when the bad guy came. She decided to have her lovedone live and herself captured that both die together with a slight chance of surviving by going back to the forest. They could have survived! Together! I mean they had already gone through it once why not again!
Yeah I just didn't like that choice of hers... And then it backfired on her.
End of spoilery part.


So yeah, have many of you all read it? As always let me know :)
Love & Hugs,
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)