2016-08-27

Book Craft

Folding












For some reason I decided to do a folding book craft, of which I've seen plenty of pictures. And so the journey began


1. Google & Decisions
I grabbed a book that I had DNF'd and was planning of getting rid of, and I started writing a list of options that I could do and questions I needed to search.
I'd recommend writing straight to the cover of the book since from that you can find out if you are actually capable of potentially destroying the book!


2. Math
So after those decisions and googling for answers, I started making claculations.
So the book had 336 pages and so 168 foldable ones.
Then I had four letters, and three spaces in between those letters so (168-3x4)/4=39 pages for each letter and that is easily dividable with 3 so the letters'll go well and always sectioned to 3 x13 pages.















3. Lines for help
I saw lots of different ways to start the folding, with an extra paper with the outlines, by drawing it straight to the pages etc. but I decided to just go with it and see how it went.
So I added guide lines in where to fold the top and sides (see picture) and started with the straight beginning of the letter L.
And then I started the smaller section for the bottom of the L.











4. Between letters
For between the letters when I fold the 4 pages I took the whole page and folded it in half to the spine and that brought some volume  and separation witht the letters.

5. O whole?
Then the tougher part. An O has a line at the top and bottom at the same time! So some more googeling and results - you fold one paper to make the top line and the next the bottom, and you rotate those.

6. Slants
In the O it was quite easy to just take the third of the pages and gradually make the edge wider to make it shape up, then make the whole and slant the other side in a similat fashion.
But with the V on the other hand, oh boy there were some problems. So the first third I folded from the top line I sketched in the beginning and same with the third third. Then the second third from the bottom. Then from the middle of the second third I started the slants going upwards. And in similar fashion the edges to the bottom. Makes sense right? Try to look at the pictures to figure it, I can't really explain it.

7. E with three lines?
So the E was easy again with the first straight line being the same with the L and the ending part the same with the O whole alternating with the top and bottom lines.
But in between these two parts (the one left and not folded in the picture) there are THREE lines at the same time. So I decided to do the same as with the two line whole but with alternating with the three instead (so first the left then middle and lastly right and again and again).

8. Tadaa?
So now it was done, but I decided to paint the edges with a red/black/silver concoction to bring that out even more.
And from this last photo you can see that when folding the top parts I didn't exactly follow the line I sketched in the beginning and that really didn't matter.




Read on lovelies,

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)