2017-04-01

Geekerella : review

Ashley Poston

30201136

*Book kindly provided by the publisher HarperCollinsTeen in exchange for an honest review!*


Anything can happen once upon a con...

Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cosplay contest for a new Starfield movie, she has to enter. The prize? An invitation to the ExcelsiCon Cosplay Ball, and a meet-and-greet with the actor slated to play Federation Prince Carmindor in the reboot. With savings from her gig at the Magic Pumpkin food truck (and her dad’s old costume), Elle’s determined to win…unless her stepsisters get there first.


Goodreads' link to the book!
><><


Stars: ✦✦✦✦.5
So as usual, I'll tell 4.5 things I liked about the book and 0.5 thing I didn't like.



So what did I think?
+1 Fandom. The book was filled to the brim by quotes and references to different fandoms, and being part of the Starfield fandom is the core of Danielle.
     It doesn't matter if your a fan of Star Wars/Star Trek/Dr. Who/LoTR or what, the point is that if your part of a fandom it is relatable. You know the right blue of your favourite character and being a fan binds us wherever and whomever we are.


+1 | Diversity without screaming it. The book had lots of diverse characters, but I really like how they were portrayed normally.
     You see, sometimes I feel like writers force diversity into the characters and it doesn't seem natural. They make it into such a big thing that makes it seem like they aren't even people anymore.


+1 | Fairytale, but new age. If you've been reading my blog or follow my Instagram you know I love fairy tale retellings, so based on only that I was really looking forward to this book. It met all my expectations on that font.
     But the thing that I found really interesting was how Poston created this tale in the modern age and culture. The main characters’ dreams and anonymity was so relatable and her struggles really came through from the writing.


+1 | Characters, the focus was not only on the romance but lots of aspects in their characteristics were based on friendship.


+0.5 | Entertainment value. All I can say to elaborate is: the emotions. Even if it seems weird to say, but the relatability and the situations and the people, was just so heartfelt yet it sure had its cheesy parts.
"I wish you were here for real"


-0.5 | The ending, I wanted more. Maybe that's just a sign that I loved it and wanted more, but I couldn't help but think that the author could've elaborated more on everything that happened.

Read on earthenders,

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)