2020-10-16

Solutions and Other Problems : review

 Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh



SUMMARY
Solutions and Other Problems includes humorous stories from Allie Brosh’s childhood; the adventures of her very bad animals; merciless dissection of her own character flaws; incisive essays on grief, loneliness, and powerlessness; as well as reflections on the absurdity of modern life.


Goodreads' link to the book!
- - -

Stars: ✦✦

I had been waiting to read this book ever since I heard about it after picking up her first one, Hyperbole and a Half, which I read and loved in 2016. And it was worth the wait. The author really dives into her life, and recent years and struggles which I appreciated, but it felt a bit odd reading something so personal. But the humor is still there, that is for sure!

Though I did give it a star rating I won’t be diving into each star review like I usually do, but instead wrote out my thought below.


 | The writing and pace resembled the first book and worked perfectly with the stories. Some were even split up between other ones, to really make the pacing work best.

‹ | The humor just hits the spot for me. The observational skills and the way she really paints the pictures is something I also loved in the first one and saw in this one again.

‹ | The artwork scattered throughout, with the style I’ve come to recognize as hers, with each individual character having personalities, really ties the stories together.

‹ | The rawness. Not just humor and jokes, but real stories about life and struggles - and it being okay.


Definitely recommend the first one if you haven’t picked it up, and then this one (though keep in mind it gets more serious).

Read on lovelies,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm better reached via Instagram or email:
@booksonal
booksonal@gmail.com

Thanks for reading :)